Sunday 22 April 2012

Sometimes I Miss You So Much It Hurts

The Bromance is a trend that has certainly taken off in the last number of years. With so many movies popularising the phenomenon it was never going to be long before the men every were locked in sweaty embrace. I have what would be classified as a Bromance with, oh lets say Eric C, no that's too obvious, E. Conway. For the first semester of this year we were thought of as a couple, with people often commenting if we weren't together. And our "relationship", for lack of a better term, has many of the features of all normal relationships.

Pride
I feel proud of him when people tell me they like him. This rather embarrassing revelation dawned on me on my J1. Eric came over to visit me, obviously he missed me terribly. He had never met my two roommates and as I was working he would be spending a lot of time with them. I was nervous how they would get on, as Eric is so very, very odd. But he was a hit and when this was acknowledged I was stupidly pleased. He had the seal of approval from my oldest friends! This was joyous news. But obviously I didn't let on. Totally played it cool. Did what every normal guy does, kept those emotions inside for months and then wrote them in a blog, just like everyone does.

Jealousy
Starting third year with an entirely new class was initially very daunting. Eric and I having already been bros kinda stuck together, slowly but cautiously getting to know the rest of the group. Thankfully they're all great and Eric took a particular initial shine to Graham. Graham, that wispy haired harlot. Well they quickly became close, sharing private jokes, attending Botany together and even living nearer to each other than Eric and I do. I took this betrayal with quiet indignation, all the time the contempt for this new cheap floozy bubbling just beneath the surface. But as in all these situations I realised I was being petty and jealous and I soon accepted Graham for who he is, a dangerous sexual deviant who must be stopped.

Despite these challenges Bromances everywhere remain strong and ever on the increase. I like to think the future is bright for E. Conway and I, but only time will tell. In the mean time, I think this says everything I cannot.


Dave,
Qualified Horse Whisperer




No comments:

Post a Comment